As a dental patient today, you have an incredible number of options for “fixing” what’s wrong with your smile. Now, we’re not talking about the restorative procedures like fillings and gum disease treatments that are essential for keeping your mouth healthy and pain-free. We’re talking about the cosmetic dentistry techniques that are not strictly necessary — though they can do wonders for your self-esteem, appearance, and quality of life. Which is why we wholeheartedly recommend them if you are at all unhappy with your smile. Imagine: not feeling self-conscious. No more hiding your teeth. No more pictures with a half-hearted, closed-mouth smile.
Of all the cosmetic services we offer at Groth Dental — including whitening, bonding, and enamel shaping — perhaps the most powerful and transformative is dental veneers.
What Are Dental Veneers?
A dental veneer is an extremely thin shell that covers the front of your tooth. It is custom made to fit your tooth and achieve the smile goals set by you and our doctors. Once attached, veneers look natural and lifelike, even sharing a real tooth’s translucence. Some people get a single veneer to cover one flawed tooth, while others like to makeover their entire smile with veneers on all of their visible teeth. Dental veneers are durable, too. With good oral hygiene, they can last 15 years or more.
What Dental Problems Do Veneers Fix?
One of the benefits of dental veneers over other types of cosmetic dentistry is that they cover all of your dental flaws in just one procedure. Here are common issues eliminated with dental veneers:
- Tooth discoloration and staining. Veneers will even hide tough intrinsic stains that chemical whiteners can’t erase.
- Teeth that have become worn down.
- Teeth that have minor cosmetic chips or cracks.
- Minor misalignment issues.
- Teeth that are uneven or misshapen.
- Teeth with unwanted gaps.
Is the Dental Veneers Procedure Painful?
Getting dental veneers on your teeth is not a painful process.
- First, you and our dental professionals will discuss your smile goals and determine if veneers are appropriate for you. The dentist will examine your mouth thoroughly and take impressions and X-rays.
- Each tooth to receive a veneer will have a very small amount of enamel removed — this enables the veneer to fit properly and look natural.
- Once your veneers have been made, they will be bonded to your teeth. We can alter the color as needed. Your teeth will be prepared, and the veneer will be permanently attached using a powerful adhesive.
If you are interested in learning about dental veneers or any of the other cosmetic services at Groth Dental, call our Bingham Farms office at 248-965-4108 or fill out our convenient online form. We are happy to discuss any questions you might have.